Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Life and Times of a Social Outcast (Part 1 of 2)

Diamond jewelry commercials have a decade-old history of sending me into a self-contained rage. I've long believed that money should be spent on experiences rather than material goods (unless, of course, said material goods open us up to new or improved experiences). There's something about expensive jewelry, in particular, that smacks of a movement in the opposite direction: a diamond bracelet doesn't make your daily commute more comfortable. You can't smell the fresh air at Bryce Canyon when you peer into it, and it certainly won't help you improve your tennis game.

I heard two diamond jewelry commercials during today's lunch-time quest. My brief trip was essentially book-ended by those commercials, both of which placed an inordinate amount of pressure on men to spend a lot of money on a single material item all the while playing on stereotypes that depict women as petty, money-mongering nags.

I take offense at this, for reasons described above, but also realize that many women (and men) do care about these things. Is it wrong of me to place judgement? To shake my head in pity or disgust?

Moments like these, I arrive at a recurring realization:

It's not them... it's me.

Just because I don't get it doesn't mean there isn't a huge audience out there that does. For many, in fact, an expensive piece of jewelry is

  1. Evidence that the guy is fiscally capable of being a good provider
  2. An indication of his level of commitment and
  3. Pretty and shiny
It's a status symbol of sorts and, as such, enhances feelings of self-worth for all involved parties. Beyond this, expensive jewelry is completely useless.

But this doesn't stop women from crowding around a newly engaged friend asking to "see the ring." This ritual has become a given in our society. It comes as no great surprise, then, that I have friends who care about this stuff. Co-workers who care about this stuff. Family members who care about this stuff.

So why is my outlook any more correct?

It probably isn't. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for other people, and I've long recognized that (not to mention, I think the world would be a much better place if people stopped forcing their ideology onto others).

But I'll save that rant for another time. What I was forced to confront again today is that I'm a bit of a sore thumb when it comes to social circles. I'm not interested in a lot of what interests other people. I seldom have anything to add to conversation, as a result, and so reserve my comments for the occasional joke or off-color remark.

And if you think that's a coping mechanism I developed in adulthood, it may interest you to know I was voted Class Clown in the fifth grade.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I was voted "Best Blonde" in debate..

Anonymous said...

I still revel in the fact that the "tradition" of diamond engagement rings was created in the 1920s by a major jeweler who wanted to drum up business for these otherwise low-cost gems. They basically created a marketing campaign convincing women a diamond was what they wanted, and men that the best way get a woman was buying a giant rock.

Though, I can't deny I feel a tinge of envy when I see an especially nice-set or well-cut diamond on someone's hand. Damn being a conditioned female.

XOXO said...

I must admit, I too have found myself in the situation where women are supposed to jump up and down squealing while the "lucky" friend is asked to thrust out her hand. I have found myself saying, "Um, Oh yea. Can I see it?" This encounter evokes the same emotion to me as the "throwing of the bouquet." (1, 2, 3,...step back)

Really Pumpkin Mom...the 1920's? Amazing how some trends never go away. And yet we do all seem to some time or another fall into the trap of admiring the big rock.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Good point, PM. We're conditioned to want/expect these things. Same goes with flowers and the like. We don't want to want them... and we hate that sometimes we wouldn't exactly mind getting them.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

OX, I dread those moments. "Oh, oh, show me the ring!"

Gesh.

Most would consider it rude if you don't ask to see.