Monday, June 19, 2006

Haiku/Gesundheit (Volume XXII)

verbal snapshots from a trip home

someone else made the bed i lie in
(or "could you please get a new mattress, at least"?)

death is a mattress
old and uncomfortable
marked by ancient sweat


things you notice when jogging rural indiana

baby ground hog eats
berries from a country road
(this is what i miss)
moms say the darndest things

one of my cousins
got hard wood in his bedroom
(she means his new floors)
my nephew is a marketing genius
(or "a four-year-old boy sings a johnny cash classic")

what a great name for
a barbeque restaurant:
the wing of fire

that looks like it hurt

busy state highway
or graveyard for white-tailed deer
every car's the judge

6 comments:

XOXO said...

Oh Oh! I love quotes from your mom. Sometimes I wonder if she knows what she's saying, but thinks you don't.


Is it weird that I don't ever really think twice when I see a deer lying with the entrails spread for miles? This weekend was an exception. There was a deer lying, bloated belly toward the highway. The disturbing part was that one of the legs was snapped in two and hanging. It still makes me shudder.

XOXO said...

as for the mattress...what is with those gross stains? Maybe everyone should use rubber sheets.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

The rubber sheets thing isn't a bad idea... but for very different reasons.

The bed I sleep on at my parents house is just plain disturbing... and incredibly uncomfortable.

And if for some reason I've neglected to mention "why" it's creepy... my mother's cousin died in it about 15 years ago... same mattress. Same box spring. Same headboard and footboard.

So. Um. I never exactly sleep well when I visit home; I'll even stay up super late watching TV just to avoid going to sleep.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

And, yes, I've wondered the same thing about my mom... though I suspect it's unlikely.

Anonymous said...

What!?! Someone died in the bed and you sleep in it?!

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

There's a big, long story behind that. But I'd forgotten that he actually died in that bed until my sister "lovingly" reminded me that I was sleeping in the "dead bed." I argued that it was the same frame but not the same mattress. Imagine my horror when I found out otherwise.

To make matters worse, it's the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on. I mean, creep factors aside, I always wake up with a sore back.