Monday, June 05, 2006

Haiku/Gesundheit (Volume XVIII)

on the virtues of mixing booze with athletics
(or "if you see more than one softball, swing at all of them")

win or lose there's booze
before, during and after
it's better this way?


next time, please stop the car before we get to the park
(or, "times like these, i wouldn't mind being a boy")

there's nothing worse than
needing to use the bathroom
on a long bike ride

if we don't go back to that restaurant, the terrorists win
(or, "i noticed you didn't eat much of your food")

i think from now on
we should do take-out or perhaps
dine with our eyes closed

funny how people lose no matter where i go
(or, "on watching one of the best teams in the league lose badly")

their only two runs
happened before i arrived
someone do the math

6 comments:

Mollie said...

Re: heiku #1: This sounds familiar. Some girls I work with are on a co-ed softball team, and, apparently the tenth innings are the best part because they go to the bar (their sponsor) after the game and drink a considerable amount of beer. Once when a game was cancelled, their manager suggested they practice during this unexpected and valuable time together, but they all wanted to go drink beer instead! When they asked me months ago if I wanted to be on the team, they didn't tell me about all the drinking...I may have agreed!

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Drinking after the game makes good enough sense... it's the "before" and "during" part that I'm not so sure about — particularly when you consider how fast those balls can travel. My team starts before the game, and keeps going throughout.

Per the norm, I'm the lame, sober one.

michele said...

I must admit I've drank during a game... but only during friendly pick-up games, no league stuff... and I so hear you on the bad timing - I seem to watch the games where nothing happens and miss the exciting ones where the scoring is fantastic - what's with that?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I can't bring myself to do it. It's a wonder I've not seriously injured myself while playing SOBER(aside from a cleat to the shin, which is still bruised). If I were to add alcohol into the mix, I'd be in serious trouble.

Anonymous said...

As my sister in law says "The most useless thing in the world is a bathroom behind you". Always try to plan those pit stops if you can.
~BPP

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

In my defense, I did ask to stop before we got the park.