Friday, March 23, 2007

Quote of the Day

THE SETTING
A local cafeteria, where a new guy started a week or two ago. He's an energetic African American in his late 20s/early 30s. The couple of times I've seen him, he's earned high marks in my book on the "friendly" factor -- which compares dramatically to some of his co-workers.

Him: [full of energy, smiling and chanting] Pizza, pizza, pizza...

Me: [chuckling, eyeing the single-serving buffalo chicken pizza] I was thinking about it. [Pausing] Hey, is that white meat?

Him: Why, are you worried about Lent?

Me: Nah, I just don't like the taste of dark meat.

Him: [shaking, to try and hold back the laugher]

Me: [blushing furiously, realizing with horror what I'd just said, vaguely recollecting an old line from the Chappelle Show or one of those Scary Movies... I can't remember which. But the gist of the double entendre was clearly flashing through both our minds.]

Him: [smiling big, chuckling once, and then smiling again] It's all breast. White breast meat.

Me: [avoiding eye contact, cheeks burning] OK, thanks. I may be back.

[Pretending to look at "other options" before turning around and running -- sprinting -- back to work.]

3 comments:

loofrin said...

oh, beware that bannan peal on your way out! lol

Woodrow said...

White meat's just better for you.

Dayngr said...

I'm pretty sure that you have nothing to worry about. I can't imagine that being perceived as anything other than being about food.