Sunday, July 23, 2006

Day 5 (Haiku/Gesundheit, Volume XXXI)

The non-haiku summary: after an amazing eight hours of sleep, we headed in to downtown Golden for breakfast with my cousin and his wife. We drove around the city and its mountainous environs before parting ways and heading to another suburb to meet a friend for coffee. Unfortunately, we only got to hang out for an hour or so before we continued on in to Denver. After a couple hours there, we turned the car east and began the 1,100 mile trip home.




i wouldn't mind living here

kayaks mountain bikes
and places to use them both
i envy you all
























































on eating lunch at a unique little restaurant in denver

what a charming place!
the locals call it "chili's"
think they'll make it big?


































kansas, the good

this state is pretty
like iowa but i don't
think it ever ends










kansas, the bad

trust jesus spray paint
hidden adult stores and gas
stations poorly kept







kansas, the ugly
(or "i'm never going to hays again")

i despise hotels
with a terrible passion
please no more days inn





it's so bad i'm giving it a second haiku

bugs and dirty sheets
what do you think that stain is?
black light reveals all

[Post backdated according to actual date of travel; Photographs of kayak, bee/flower and Golden aerial view were taken by Washington.]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

how on earth do you get to travel so much!?!

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I took four days off for this trip. I took a couple in January and April as well, so I'm now left with only two days for the rest of the year.

Blast this "two weeks of vacation a year!" policy. It's un-human (and inhumane).

Anonymous said...

Win the lottery. Then you could afford a house in CO. Once again, nice pics. I like the one of the hang glider coming off the M and the one of the Kayaker in Golden. (My lotto dollars at work. :) )

I have driven across Kansas WAY too many times to count. That state should be outlawed.

Yes, hotel rooms suck.

BTW, thanks. You always have a place to fly to as well.
~BPP

Unacademic Advisor said...

Wouldn't mind living in a land-locked state? How revolting. One visits them. One does not consider living in them.

Seriously, your pictures are great, and I agree there are some very pretty and pretty interesting places out there. I suppose I wouldn't MIND living in some of them either, probably for the same reasons you feel that way. It just wouldn't be my first choice.

Glad you had a good time, despite the noisy neighbors. (We've encountered similar issues frequently, but we've had plenty of times where we didn't, as well.)

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

The landlocked aspect of CO is a downer, but with so many lakes and ponds around, there are still PLENTY watersports to partake in. I was envious of those kayakers, for example.

I feel more landlocked here, even with the massive lake deceptively resembling an ocean.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

BPP: Kansas is pretty enough, but in addition to going on FOREVER, there are few rest stops along the expressway... and those that do exist have a rather high creep factor.

XOXO said...

My brother-in-law is taking his laptop on the family "vacation." What has this world come to? I'm glad you were able to get away from some work nonsense.

I recently had 6 days off "traded" for a small increase in pay. It was not my choice, rather the company's way of saying, "you do such a great job! i think you'll leave less often." I wonder if the CEO had 6 days taken from his too?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

WA took his laptop on vacation, too. Of our two nights in a hotel, he worked both of 'em.

I "took off" our first day back, even though I spent it working from home. And I'm still not caught up.