Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Regarding the Efficacy of Subliminal Advertising
(A Personal Anecdote Concerning King Kong)

A few months ago, shortly before King Kong was released, I caught a trailer about the "making of" Peter Jackson's Kong in the pre-previews for another film (in other words, the commercials before the previews before a movie). I was sitting next to two ladies who were talking amongst themselves when one said to the other, "Has Peter Jackson done anything since The Lord of the Rings? I haven't heard a thing about him."

The "Making of King Kong" had been playing at least a couple of minutes before this question was asked. The other answered that she "hadn't heard of anything, either" and wondered if he was "out of ideas." The "Making of" continued on throughout their conversation. It wasn't until an actual preview of King Kong played several minutes later that one of them said "Well I guess that answers our question."

I was quite amused to realize the one thing they didn't: that their subconscious likely picked up that Peter Jackson was repeatedly being mentioned during that "Making Of" commercial, but they were too busy talking to consciously "hear" it. And yet, this subconscious detection made its way into their conversation.

I developed an uncanny appreciation for — and fearful suspicion of — hypnotists and subliminal advertisements that day.

3 comments:

XOXO said...

I like it best when people who seem to have attention issues will be talking about something like shoes and then say sunshine instead of shoestore because that's what someone next to them just said. Not that this ever happens to me. I'm just saying I get your point.

Anonymous said...

I was never a "movie talker" before I met my best friend Stephanie, I always found anyone talking through a movie worthy of being taken out back and given a good beating.. but now we when go to the movies, she provides insight, like the plot I can't seem to understand..or who she thinks will die next... are you sure it wasn't us sitting next to you?

Anonymous said...

There is a book out called *BLINK*. It is about how the subconcious does a better job sometimes of picking up on things then we do. It is a REALLY good book. Right up there with Freakonomics. ~BPP