Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Naming of Children

A conversation between my 4 1/2 year-old nephew and my sister, as relayed to me by the latter.

Nephew (Leaning onto a Counter): So. What are you going to name the baby boy?

Sister: We don't know yet. Do you have any ideas?

Nephew (Deep in Thought): Well, I'd say "Luke," but that's what I named my lion. So that's definitely out of the question.

Sister: Yeah, I suppose so. Any other ideas?

Nephew (Deeper in Thought): How about "Obi Wan"? That's an honorable name.

Sister: That is a very honorable name, but I'd worry the other kids might make fun of little Obi Wan.

Nephew (Sighing): I guess you're right. Some kids make fun of little babies.

6 comments:

Unacademic Advisor said...

Mollie says that whenever we have a child, all I will do is laugh at him or her. But honestly, how can I not when they do and say such funny things?

michele said...

Wait a sec... I thought that was the whole point of having kids!?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I remember burning with anger/embarrassment whenever adults laughed at me when I was a kid. That's why I try to limit my response to a smile when I'm around my nephew. I don't want to embarrass him by laughing at what he says — not to mention, I love the way he thinks.

But, yes, you're both right. That's part of the allure of having children.

(But then somewhere around ages 8 or 9, they begin to transform into beasts. And then from 12-18/19, parenting looks almost insufferable. Boarding school becomes a viable option.)

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that the first thing that came into my mind was "The Force is stong in this one"?

I like your nephew's style.
~BPP

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

He's amazing. Plain and simple.

loofrin said...

You know, maybe they could call the kid Bubba Fett...

I'm not gonna to far with that, though.

;)