Friday, September 29, 2006

Hero

"And that's your father when he was a police officer," she said, pointing to a newspaper cutout of her son.

"Why was he in the paper?" the four-year-old asked.

"Well, you see that girl?" She points to the teenager standing awkwardly next to her son, decked out in his blue uniform.

"Yeah."

"Well. Her house was on fire, and your daddy got there before the fire department. So he climbed the tree outside of her window, pulled her out of the window and carried her down the tree."

The four-year-old gasps, smiling so big his eyes almost shut. He sucks in a gutful of air and tries to speak.

"My dad's a SUPERHERO!!!"

He jumps up, does his best Mr. Incredibles impression, and then sits back down, putting his hand on his grandmother's knee.

"Show me more pictures, Mamaw."

3 comments:

XOXO said...

I sudder to think of the spandex outfit he may choose.

Anonymous said...

Everyone should be a hero to their kids. It sounds like your brother did a good job. I am envious.
~BPP

Anonymous said...

ya - he sure was a hero to me that time he filed my accident report late (so I had to run around and around with the people at state farm) and then he had the wrong road and place where it happened. that wrong information he told me was pretty cool too.

ahhh, tw, what would your blog be without a nice healthy dose of cynicism?

love,

ds