Friday, May 12, 2006

I'd Rather Be Skydiving

I'm at an age where everyone I know seems to be having children. Some friends are even on their second child, whereas I struggle to maintain a healthy living environment for my goldfish.

But this frenzy of simultaneous births has caused me to realize something: it's time that I, too, became a proud parent.

So I'm getting a cat.

I've long resisted getting a cat, out of fear of becoming that stereotypical old maid. I mean, you start with one cat, what stops you from getting two? And then a third? Next thing you know, you're 65 years-old, never married, and chasing away the neighbor kids with a dilapidated broom.

[And then, a couple years later, your half-eaten corpse is discovered by police after the paper boy reports an "unusual smell" radiating from your front door. You earn your 15 minutes of fame post mortem, with news stations nationwide reporting that the 123 cats you kept in your basement were so hungry after your passing that they had to — well, you get the idea.]

Point is, I don't want that for my future. Seemed the only way I could avoid that slippery slope was to avoid getting a cat altogether (not to mention, until recently I didn't live at an apartment that allowed them).

But being around Washington's cat has made me a tad nostalgic for those days of my youth when I always had a pet (cat, dog or both). And I've since committed to housing a particular (little) feline, who will soon join me at my abode. I was fine with this until Wednesday night, when it suddenly occurred to me that the cat might "tie me down" or "hold me back" from other life pursuits.

I mean, if I decide to abandon all of my wordly possessions and ride my bike from coast-to-coast some summer, what do I do with the cat? What happens when Lint and I backpack around Scotland? What if she [the cat, not Lint] scratches up my furniture? What if she meows like mad whenever I'm trying to sleep?

Thoughts like this (among countless others), hurtled me into a panic. I called one friend, who encouraged me to simply "back out" of the deal. I discussed the matter with a couple others, all of whom brought to light other problems I hadn't even considered ("man, her hair is going to be everywhere"; "you're taking her even though you've never seen her?"; "what if she and Washington's cat don't get along?"; "you do know it's like $100 to get them fixed... right?" etc.).

All of these insights were, somewhat ironically, followed with "but you should keep her — it'll probably be worth it" type remarks. That to me was like saying there are potential rewards to being kicked in the teeth.

But then I look in the corner of my living room, where I've stashed away all of her future belongings: the terry cloth bed; the food and water bowls; etc. Or I read over the list of potential names (which I'll formally decide after "meeting" her), and I almost feel a tinge of excitement.

If all else fails, I may convince my mum that the kitten is my Mother's Day gift to her. I mean, when we're kids our parents have to love whatever we give them — right? Even if it's an ashtray we made (or a kitten whose pregnant mother was abandoned by its owners), and our folks are nonsmokers (or dog-lovers)?

I'm hoping here that similar rules apply for adulthood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never in my life thought I would have 3 cats. But I do. (My friends call me the crazy cat lady.) I love my babies.. but it has caused some issues.. like the beautiful new couch that was destroyed. People over for dinner is completely out of the question, they aren't afraid to beg for your rum chicken and white potatoes. My youngest was found downtown stuffed in a box near a dumpster, so she hates to be left alone and will cry until I hold her, (this is ALL the time, watching t.v. brushing teeth, doing dishes.) I've never known a cat like her. She will start crying really loud when I get my keys and purse together in the morning before work. It breaks my heart.
When I'm holding her she's fine.
The other two are older now, I've had them for four years. Lola gives hugs, and Max is super fat and lazy.

I can't believe I typed this much about my cats.

Signed,
The Crazy Cat Lady

Anonymous said...

Cats are a lot more independent than dogs. I, personally, never had pets so I don't get the attraction. But that is me. Look at it this way: They are always happy to see you when you come home and they are sad to see you go. And you never have to put them through college or bail them out of jail. Beats kids in that respect. You won't know about the cat until you get it. And yeah, they would probably take it off your hands. That is what parents do, right? :)
~BPP

XOXO said...

I'm so proud of you for taking the leap/jump/fall of responsibility. Nora and I were talking and we agree you are making the right choice. Does it sound better when I'm talking to a dog over a cat? I'm sure it's as equally crazy.

"Crazy Lady Winter"-- Your brief discussion about your cats really is nothing compared to things I've read and seen elsewhere. Just don't let the sad story Galaxy hypothesized discourage you from saving more lost kittens. 123 IS a little much, but a bit of a lower number isn't so bad. ;)