Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Random Musings

On Air
As though public restrooms weren't already bad enough: the paper towel dispenser at work, which is built into the same receptacle as the trash bin, has air cycling through it. Whenever I throw away my trash — and lean over the bin — I'm hit in the face with the gust of (what I assume to be filth-ridden) air. Can someone explain the thermodynamics here?

On Corndogs
No matter how old I get, the bread that's left on the stick after the rest of the dog is gone is still my favorite part. And, no, before you fear I've abandoned my health kick: the only corn dogs I eat these days (today's lunch inclusive) are made of soy. Low fat, decent protein content, and free of mystery meats... with the same great taste of processed intestines.

On Firefox
I experienced this little gem today for the first time. Works amazingly well with Blogger, among other things. I may even make the switch from IE to Firefox at home! It's free, if you want to try it.

On OCD
Yes, I alphabetized this list.

On Pickles
Why is it pickles are regularly designated as "kosher," though countless other foods, also kosher, are never so blatant in their labeling? What is it about pickles that demands such specific branding?

On Pistachios
Anyone else feel like you're eating mussels when you dig into these babies?

On Reviews
Silly that I write and post movie/book reviews, I know. My inspiration for this? After I finished White Teeth I couldn't remember the last book I had previously read. Writing about things helps me commit them to memory... one of the many things I miss now that I'm no longer active in academia.

On The Simpsons
According to a new, super duper scientific study, the average American has a better understanding of The Simpsons than they do the Bill of Rights. As an avid fan of this Fox marvel, I rattled off my First Amendment rights before I hastened to judgement. Do you know your rights?

On the Web
For kicks, watch this little fella. Cute. Disturbing. And a way to pass the time.

2 comments:

Mollie said...

You do have a lot of time on your hands, don't you? I like it when the asian dog-thing scoots his rear on the ground and then grins.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Unusually large amounts, yes. I went from months of chaos at work to a slight whimper. I've been getting fast, easy projects and now find myself regularly e-mailing my boss asking for more work. No kidding. I'm sure things'll pick up again soon... when I post less, you'll know it's happened.