Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bacterial Election

Election day is here, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

And, no, it's not because this will be my first time voting in this state.

Nor is it because I'm one of millions out there hoping for a House flipping that will transform our Commander-in-Chief into a lame duck.

Rather, my excitement is powered more so by my desire to have those wretched advertisements (television and otherwise) put to a halt. The attack ads have been so vicious this year, I've found myself rolling my eyes to the tune of every political party. In short: with so much mud being slung around, even I feel dirty.

In many of the races here, voters only know of the candidates what their opponents have said. In which case, we're literally choosing the lesser of two evils because we haven't heard a single good thing about anyone.

For the first time in my life, I'm going to vote for the "little guys" who don't have a chance in at least two races, just to contest all of the negative energy I've had to endure at the hands of big money yarn spinners.

Does that mean the little guys wouldn't have turned up the productivity on the "NEGATIVE AD" machine if they had the money?

They probably would have. But at this point... I don't really care.

Here's what we're dealing with: the two "main" gubernatorial candidates both have very low approval ratings (think "President Bush" low). And yet the incumbent has a 14-point lead over his opponent.

He was asked what he thought about his low approval rating, and he said something to the effect of: "What do I have to be offended about? I'm ahead 14 points. And, to me, that's great news."

OK, sure. It's great news for you. And, yeah, you're likely that proverbial lesser of two evils. But don't you even care that we don't want you, either?

I'm so tired of that dude talking about all the "negative ads" his opponent put out when, in fact, he turned on the heat months ago. In other words: HE STARTED IT!

[Could you tell I was using my best "angry young kid fighting with sibling" voice? Because I was.]

At one point last week, I saw my very first (and only) "THIS AD IS ABOUT ME AND ONLY ME" commercial.

"Holy smokes!" I thought. "I don't care what she stands for... I'm voting for her!"

Turns out she wasn't in my district.

Eh. Who cares. I'm writing her in for Governor.

10 comments:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

PREDICTION: If it hasn't happened already, we'll soon begin to see bumper stickers that read "Don't blame me. I voted for Borat."

loofrin said...

haha. nice. i voted. i did the straight ticket thing. the problem with voting in my county is two-fold

1. no one running against incumbents

2. the only candidates i see on television come from Marion county (Indianapolis). I knew who I was going to vote against in Marion Count... not so much Johnson.

Ah, well. We get to look forward two peaceful (sort of) ad-free years until the next political slobberknocker! yippee!

Anonymous said...

I voted absentee two weeks ago. I am glad I don't watch TV much. It is odd watching political attack ads when you can't vote for or against anyone.

When I could, I voted Libertarian. What the country needs is a viable third party candidate. Oh, well. Big Money would never allow it.

Only about 14 months to the Iowa caucuses (SP?) Kill me now.
~BPP

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I don't vote?

XOXO said...

I voted absentee as well a couple of weeks ago. I hoped by doing this I wouldn't have to get up early to deal with the stupid machines. Apparently I'm not the only person who doesn't like them. Did you hear about the guy that smashed one with a paper weight?
Anyway, voting early was supposed to get rid of a headache, but instead caused one. You see, I voted for someone I thought had been doing a decent job. I turns out he only votes the way the govenor wants him too, and he's proud to admit that. What about what the people want? So much for growing up knowing this guy. :(

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

DWC - I can't get myself to vote straight ticket. Yesterday, I voted for three different parties in various races. And for some races, I didn't even vote (I tend to not vote on particular races when I don't know the issues/candidates). Still, I know what you mean. We were inundated with so many ads, I wasn't really even sure which candidates were running for which races... and in which district, for that matter.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

BPP and XOXO — I may go back to voting absentee next year.

XOXO - Is s/he a friend of mine?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Winter - Depends. I can certainly understand not wanting to vote... especially since only one of the people I voted for won (not to mention, there were several races I didn't vote on — see above).

But even if the people I vote for lose, I can rest easy knowing I was proactive in my disagreement with the "guy" in office.

XOXO said...

He is someone our parents know. His daughter graduated with my sister.

Anonymous said...

I just can't bring myself to do it, I asked my Mom one year how she stays on top of the issues, and her answer was that she doesn't. She only goes to vote if a woman is running!

That's scary.