Tuesday, August 08, 2006

No Autographs, Please

I've never really met anyone famous. Sure, as a reporter I interviewed the occasional state governor. And I once had a ten minute conversation with guy who bore an uncanny resemblance to Ted Kennedy. But other than that, my unusual life experiences seldom involve brushes with celebrity (and when they have, I've generally relied on someone else to assign a name to the familiar face).

Perhaps my lack of experience is thus to blame for the surreal nature of tonight's bike ride.

I hadn't been out for a ride in over two weeks... in part because of vacation, in part because I've been tending to a not-so-bright cat. My temperament and energy levels require regular exercise (and sleep), and this lapse in both has made me rather cranky. And yet, for whatever reason, I was averaging speeds that are normally difficult for me to maintain in this (often crowded) bike path. I think I was trying to prove to myself that I could "go fast" despite my "recent laziness."

I was more than halfway done with my ride when I entered into a particularly busy patch of people. I slowed down a bit and kept my head up, weaving around one group of walkers and then coming up behind another cyclist when someone in the southbound lane caught my attention.

Is that... Hey, I think that's...

"SHAKE N BAKE!" I hear the cyclist in front of me yell, altogether confirming my suspicions.

(Shake 'n Bake is a reference to Talladega Nights, for those of you who haven't seen the move.)

"So that is who I thought," I said to the cyclist as I approached him.

"Yeah, I went to high school with 'em," the guy responded.

"Cool," I said, eyeing the clearing ahead and regaining enough speed to pass the-guy-who-went-to-school-with-John-C-Reilly.

As I continued on, I spent much of the remaining ride home thinking about who I'd just seen. My thought process went a little like this:

John C doesn't wear a helmet! Was he wearing jeans? He sure looked tired! I think that was a mountain bike, but I'm not sure. Man, what an actor. What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Magnolia. Good Girl. Yes! Good Girl. This guy's been in some of my favorite movies. Heck, he's a big reason I've enjoyed some films. I can't believe he hasn't won an Oscar yet. I wonder if he'd get mugged for autographs if he stopped his bike to rest, if only for a minute... Is he that famous yet?

And then, for the same reason I was initially excited to have just ridden my bike past one of my favorite actors... I started to feel a bit sorry for him.

Can he stop for a break? What's it like trying to work out in a city that isn't Hollywood (and so, isn't a place where people are surrounded by celebrities)? Sure, he doesn't draw the same attention as folks like Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie and the like... but I suspect he has the occasional dinner interrupted. I mean, someone did yell at him while he was in the middle of the ride. Does he appreciate the recognition? Or resent that he can't ride in peace?

And then I started to think about a book I read a couple years ago that presents an honest view of man's daily existence. I consider this to be the shorthand version. In other words: much of what we do with ourselves — raise families, work, own cars, fight wars — is just our way of denying our mortality. Ditto with going to the movies, and obsessing over celebrity magazines. Sometimes when we fail to be great, we live vicariously through those that have... be they criminals, athletes, politicians, artists, writers or even... actors.

And that's when complete and total shame hit.

I was excited about the fact that I'd just ridden my bike past a man I recognized, though we've never met. What does that say about me? That I'm normal, sure. But also that I haven't really done anything great.

Will I ever finish that script? Publish a novel? See my photographs displayed at an art gallery? Probably not. I'm too... distracted... with work and the like to really focus on any of these things. But I also realize that if I shuffle off of this mortal coil having accomplished none of the above, I have only myself to blame.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, the famous. on my last trip to your city, I missed a chance to throw rocks at Tony Danza by 10 minutes. 10 damn minutes that could have changed my life. I could have held my head high and thrown rocks at Tony Danza. I had partially expected to see Jeff Tweety, or Glen Kotche, or even to settle for Ken Coomer - and throw rocks at them. but a Tony Danza is a chance of a lifetime for the semi-professional rock thrower.

most of life is wasted.

ds

Unacademic Advisor said...

The real question is, "Do you really want those accolades?" I mean, would you be doing it because it is something you desire, or are you just succumbing to a contemporary and particularly American ideology that insists celebrity, wealth, fame (for whatever reason) is the only measure of success? Is there such a thing as immortality, and if there is, can you thoughtfully and confidently claim you want it? I used to think I did. Now I'm not so sure.

michele said...

Sometimes I feel the same way - that I won't have done anything if I don't publish/gain recognition in a lasting way, but then I realize I've affected the lives of people close to me, and that's enough. Sure, that recognition won't last past their or my lifetime, but sometimes, it's enough for me. I hope sometimes it's enough for you too.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

AA - I don't want celebrity so much as I want to see my name (or my nom de plume) on store shelves. And not so much for fame and fortune, but to realize I'm not only doing what I set out to do... but that I do it in a way that matters to people.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

(It's for this reason that I expect my existence to be a almost entirely a failure.)

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Michele - That certainly matters to me as well, but I also want a little something more... primarily because I associate "making an impact on my family" with "making a name for myself." But I'm certainly not doing anything right now to make that happen. And I'm starting to accept that it's unlikely I will.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

RM- I don't understand celebrity chasers, either. I mean, I understand -- from a existential standpoint -- *why* people are obsessed with fame, but I don't understand *why* they can't control it. Let the actors and the actresses have their dinner (and their bike rides) in peace.

Cup said...

Interesting post. I've spent today asking myself the same questions in your last paragraph. I have a friend who dates someone semi-famous, who works with semi-famous ... and it's weird to see that they're the same as us ... and yet very different.

XOXO said...

I know this place somewhat Waldenish that you could always move to. At least during the winter months. I really doubt anyone would care during the summer either. That is, as long as they can keep their fishing poles in the cabin you would soon call home.

XOXO said...

I saw Rupert from Survivor this spring. Though I'm not a huge fan, Join the Club is. SO, as I stood in line behind him at the airport, I contemplated calling JTC to rub it in, or to have my photo taken with him. Then I realized some of the things you talk about in this entry. As I stood mesmerized by the fact that tie-dyed shirts look good on rarely anyone, some lady came up to him and whispered that she "loved him on Survivor" and that he was her "favorite." At that point, I too had an admiration for him because of the way he handled it.

I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy random people who think they know me coming up to give me a kiss and a hug. Galaxy, I can't wait until you are famous. Oh the awkward moments that await. I hope I'm their to enjoy some of them at least.

Workman said...

I went to high school with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

So there.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

XOXO - That's somewhat ironic since I had honestly been thinking about posting an entry concerning my desire to retire to this pond I know. My lease expires soon, and I have to "give notice" next week. Do I want to upgrade to a better place? Stay where I am because I hate moving? Or relinquish much of my financial responsibility by going to the cabin and writing for a few months?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Matthew - If there's any actor today I would've been just as excited to see, it's Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Can you get me his autograph?

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

[OK, so I'm kidding about wanting his autograph. But I do think he's one of the finest actors out there today.]

XOXO said...

I'm still scarred by "Happiness."

Workman said...

Well, back in the day, he was simply Phil Hoffman, Senior Class Secretary/damn fine actor.

The drama teacher staged an extra play during his senior year (Death of a Salesman) just to showcase his talent.

He was (and still is) two years older than me, so I can't say we were buddies or anything like that. But it was still really fun the first time I recognized him in a movie (Scent of a Woman).

And I would agree that he is quite likely the best actor of his generation.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

See, XO? Bet you didn't realize the "post card guy" in Happiness was destined to do such great things on screen. Hoffman, like Reilly, is one of those guys that people seem to think appeared from out of nowhere, though they've both been taking very interesting parts for years.

XOXO said...

Blech!! I'd say interesting. By the way, you think your mom would be interested in watching the Good Girl with me any time soon?

Anonymous said...

I have said it before and I will say it again: "You can get just about anything you want out of life if you are willing to eat enough [worms]".

You have the talent. I have been reading you for years and I love your pictures. You lack the focus and the drive. At least you lack it for these things that matter to you. Imagine if you took the intensity and focus you have put into your biking and running and put it toward your creative side? I know it is hard. But if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I am reading a book that says, among other things, the reward for effort is non-linear. Usually you work and work and work to no avail and then *BAM* you get a quantum amount of success. Most people don't have the tenacity to keep banging their head against the wall until they succeed.

This turned into more of a lecture than I wanted it to be. And a lot of it is pointed back at me.

I believe in you. To quote a modern American philosopher "Git 'er done!" :)

Anonymous said...

Damn return key. THat last one was me.
~BPP

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

That's just it. To focus on writing AND/OR photography, something else has to give. I'd need to either quit my job (how will I earn money?) or quit working out (this would be murder on my mood).

We're torn in so many directions, it's nearly impossible to dedicate ourselves to any single thing. Those who have, have often done so at a tremendous cost.

[But, oh, what the reward!]